10 Things I Love About Living in California (aka, what I’ll miss the most)
So. I am finally!/already? preparing to depart from my hometown… The city of my birth, the house I’ve lived in all my life, my baby Toby (aka the sweetest, most adorable shih-tzu on planet earth) and his girlfriend Mabel (a recent family addition – the most hyper, bouncy, energetic shih-tzu in the history of shih-tzus). I am leaving all of this behind.
I am so, so ready to explore new places, & meet new people, & learn new things, & take advantage of new opportunities, though. The date of my one-way flight is rapidly approaching.
It is exciting, & terrifying, & exhilarating… all at once.
California – these are the things I love about you, and the things I’ll miss. The seventeen years and nine months I spent with you were fab. But I’m tired of taking pictures of palm trees, mmkay?
1) Morning Walks Along the Pier These relaxed strolls became a beloved tradition of mine several years ago. There’s just something magical about the pier early in the morn… whether I’m alone, with my mother, or have a camera in tow – it is so special.
2) The Laid-Back Atmosphere Pajamas, yoga pants, & slippers are acceptable public attire here – with limits, of course. But at Target or the grocery store? No weird looks. Seriously. (I’ve even spent a day at the mall in PJ bottoms. Shhh…)
3) Movie Theaters By the Beach There is nothing. on. earth. like exiting a movie theatre and immediately being treated to a view of the sea. To be entirely honest, it’s the #1 reason why I even go to the movies.
4) Shopping Outdoors Year-round Outdoor shopping centers in California are heavenly. This one is my absolute favorite.
5) The View from the Freeway The traffic may be awful… but when you can see the ocean from your car? Ah, it’s not so bad.
6) Saying ‘Like’, Like, All the Time Is this, like, a California thing? I’m not sure… but, like, I better tone it down before I’m, like, living abroad…
7) Spontaneous Visits to Old Town, Santa Monica, The San Diego Zoo, & More Day trips in Southern California are always, always extraordinary. From Balboa Park to Disneyland… it’s impossible to run out of choices for ‘family fun day’.
8) The Harbors Though the odor is invariably, um, unpleasant, I love spending time at our local harbor. There is so much character in the little place – vibrant colors, imaginative boat names, and, occasionally, sweet sea creatures. I just adore it.
9) Dolphins, & Sea Lions, & Pelicans, Oh My! Yeah, do I actually have to explain this one? La Jolla Cove = Everything.
10) Sunsets at the Beach They’re breathtaking. The vibrant hues and bright, bright sun. I love them.
Bye-Bye, SoCal. (Ah, almost, anyways…) ♥